This two-storied hewn stone dungeon was built on the ruins of the
Venetian Palace during the Ottoman era in Cyprus. Namik
Kemal, a distinguished nationalist poet, spent his
thirty-eight months in this dungeon when he was sent into
exile on April 9th 1873 soon after first performance of his
play "Vatan or Silistire" at Gedik Pasa theatre on April 1st
1873. The ground-floor, with only one vaulted cell, is in
shape of a rectangle and it has low arched entrance door
which opens on to the courtyard of the Venetian Palace as
well as the two windows in the same wall. When Namik Kemal
came to Magusa, he first stayed at the ground floor, but
after a while he was taken to the second storey with the
permission of the Cyprus Governer, Veyis Pasa. The steep
stone stairs at the side of the building take you to the
rectangular second storey which has two large windows, a
landing in the front, a marble floor and a timbered ceiling.
After having been forgiven by Murat V. of June 3rd 1876,
Namik Kemal returned to Istanbul on June 29th 1876.
Department of Antiquities and Museums, Planning and
Restoration Section started the "Restoration and
Environmental Organization Project of the Namik Kemal
Dungeon Museum" more or less at the beginning of 1993 and
completed it within a short period of six months.
Organization of the museum was made with the collaboration
of the Department of Culture.